All the Truth That's in Me || Julie Berry



In A Snapshot
Title: All the Truth That's in Me
Blurb:  Four years ago, Judith and her best friend disappeared from their small town of Roswell Station. Two years ago, only Judith returned, permanently mutilated, reviled and ignored by those who were once her friends and family.
Unable to speak, Judith lives like a ghost in her own home, silently pouring out her thoughts to the boy who’s owned her heart as long as she can remember—even if he doesn’t know it—her childhood friend, Lucas.
But when Roswell Station is attacked, long-buried secrets come to light, and Judith is forced to choose: continue to live in silence, or recover her voice, even if it means changing her world, and the lives around her, forever.
Rating: 4/5
Genre: Historical Fiction
In Three Words: Breathtaking, heartbreaking, beautiful
Source: Own copy (but you can get it from Boolino too)

Sometimes when I read a good book I unconsciously start writing like the author. I saw this trend when I was deep within my obsession of Cassandra Clare's Shadowhunter series. I told myself that humanity tries to base itself upon its role modals.

Now my eyes are wide open and Cassandra Clare seems generic and dreary, compared to All The Truth That's in Me

Julie Berry's poetic and straight to the point style is a refreshing change to the arguably tried and repeated YA genre. The few sentence long paragraphs that gradually gain more words, is cleverly linked to the mute main character (Judith) rediscovering speech throughout the novel. Also, I'd usually class jumping around ideas a terrible bookish sin, but the jolted memories of Judith work in perfect harmony with the novel 
“Like the clanging of the bell, the truth crashes in upon me. At last I understand. He took away my voice to save me. And now, to save myself, I take it back.” ― Julie BerryAll the Truth That's in Me
For this reason, I want to spin a clever structure and I want to write something unlike I've ever read before. Thank God I can't ever write like Julie Berry as her originality is not something I could bear stolen. 

I have a soft spot for Historical Fiction because it leads you under the false impression that you actually may learn something. All the Truth That's in Me is quite clearly very made up but the plot was nothing like I expected and surprised me in a good way, There is a mountain of plot twists to keep you on the edge of your seat and Berry is extremely good at leaving the reader wandering till the very end. That said, it does wrap up nicely as a standalone novel *cough*unlike other YA 'series'**cough*.

However what brings it down a star, for me, is the love interests. I'm not a very romantic person but I don't particularly mind the odd crush in a book. All The Truth That's in Me is centered around an almost stalkerish obsession of Judith's. This goes to the extent that the novel is addressed to her 'true love', Lucas. Of course the couple were cute and at times I did like them, but on the whole part they were annoying, stupid, overrated, cringe worthy and a stain on an otherwise perfect book. Judith seemed to love Lucas without a reason, which is something I've never seen in real life, and thus it pulled me away from the fantasy I was otherwise enjoying.
“It's always you ladybird," he says softly "don't you know?” ― Julie BerryAll the Truth That's in Me
The other characters were perfect, Judith's clumsy younger brother and cold mother definitely topping the list for the most well rounded and interesting. Even Judith's captor, the one I was anticipating the author to ruin by making him a storybook villain, was actually quite relatable in the end. 
“Your father died the night the town believed he did, and my captor was born from his ashes. Two men, not alike, strangers to each other.” ― Julie BerryAll the Truth That's in Me
It is a shame, I guess. I like and look up to everything but the very love the book is centered around.
Still, I do recommend it. Perhaps you may think differently.

2 comments:

Powered by Blogger.